5 Reasons to Drink Lemon Water
1. Lemon water alkalizes your body’s pH balance.
While very acidic on their own, lemons have an alkalizing effect on the body. Why is balancing your body’s pH important? Simple – cancer cells can’t grow in an alkaline environment extremely important to your overall health. Additional ways to balance your body’s pH include limiting acid-forming foods like dairy, animal proteins, processed foods, and sugar.
2. Lemon water boosts your immune system.
Lemon juice contains high amounts of Vitamin C, potassium and folate, immunity boosters. No eyes more colds and sinus infections for you this fall! Bonus: Lemons are also high in lutein and zeaxanthin which keep your eyes healthy!
3. Lemon water is a natural diuretic.
In other words, you will pee and poop and reduce bloating. (Hahaha I said pee and poop!) The diuretic effect of lemon water helps your body detox and start every day off right. And relieved. (Sorry. I can’t help it.)
4. Lemon water aids digestion.
If you ever experience indigestion, grumbling in your belly or digestion challenges of any sort, sipping warm lemon water 10-15 minutes before you eat a meal will aid in enzyme production in the gut and improve digestion.
5. Lemon water improves your skin.
Supercharged with Vitamin C and other great nutrients, sipping warm lemon water on a regular basis will make your skin glow. Try it for a week and see for yourself!
LEMON WATER RECIPE
- Fill a mug with 12-15 ounces of hot (but not boiling) water. Boiling water will kill the nutrients in the lemon, so bring your water to a boil, then let it cool for several minutes before adding the lemon juice. Room temperature water can be used as well.
- Add the juice of ½ a lemon. Always use a fresh lemon, never bottled lemon juice which will contain preservatives. Organic lemons are best, if available.
- Sip each morning to enjoy the health benefits listed above.
- BONUS: Add a dash of organic cayenne pepper to your lemon water to boost your metabolism and further increase your digestive enzyme production.